Monday, September 8, 2014

Andrew's Soma ES



Evan,

This past July, I sent you some information on my Soma B-side 26" build.  Here is my new Soma ES build.  It too is a bit different.



I have not owned or ridden a traditional road bike for over 20 years.  I was looking to replicate the type of bike I road some thirty years ago, but at the same time, I wanted to allow for a few contemporary updates. Since I already owned two Soma mountain bikes (Groove and B-Side), looking at a Soma Smoothie seemed to be a logical place to start.  I eventually settled on the Soma ES model as it was a better fit for me, and would accommodate the vintage parts I planned to use, as well as providing the possibility of 32c tires.  I love a frame that allows for options. 
 
I tried to keep with silver components for the most part.  In the end component choices were ultimately dictated by what I already had, and what I knew I personally needed.  As I get older, comfort tends to be an ever increasing consideration.  The final result seems to have nailed what I was after: speed and a plush ride.  ES is short for Extra Smooth, I would have to say that is an understatement.  This bike just seems to float over the pavement.  Besides the Prestige steel frame, I have to credit the 23mm H+Son box section rims and 28c Panaracer tires.  I knew from past experience, a good box section rim with a high thread count tire can yield a very plush ride.  

A special thanks to Adrenaline Bikes of Orange, CA for all of their input, and for the great deal on the frame and fork.  This is the second Soma frame I purchased from them, the other being the B-side.

Thanks,
Andrew



Specifications:
· 46cm Soma ES frame with IRD Mosaic 57 Carbon Prestige fork
·  VO Grand Cru headset with carbon and alloy spacers
·  170mm XTR M900 Crank with 46, 36, 24 Race Face chainrings with Shimano UN73 BB
·   Shimano M900 front derailleur, Shimano XT rear derailleur with XTR pulleys
·   Shimano Ultegra 9spd cassette – 12x27
·   Shimano Dura Ace Shifters with Paul Thumbies and custom fabricated cable routing
·    Tektro 737 brakes with Koolstop salmon pads and Tektro brake levers
·    White Industries hubs – 32 hole / 14g butted DT spokes / H+Son TB-14 rims
·   Panaracer Gravel King 700x28c tires
·   Uno carbon seat post with Blackburn saddle

·   Planet X stem with FSA Wing Pro handlebar, double wrapped


No comments: